Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Healthy Me Check In: WANT Power

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's so hard when I have to,
and so easy when I want to. ~ Annie Gottlier

I am giving myself a big old non-scale victory this week, for keeping my commitment to walk more often.

I've walked for 30 minutes on four out of the last nine days. I realize that I still have lots of room for improvement: I want to eventually walk every day. But just for today, I'm not going to worry about that. I'm going to celebrate my achievement. Yay Me!

There is a lot of talk within weight loss circles about motivation and willpower. But you know what I think the secret is? It's about wanting something so much that nothing can stand in your way. Think of any toddler you know: when they get their mind set on having something, nothing stops then from trying over and over to get what they want. This isn't WILL power: it's WANT power.

It's the same with us. I've felt rather wishy-washy about exercising until we made the decision to go to Alaska. Now, more than anything, I want to be fit enough to be able to enjoy the great outdoors. Notice I didn't say, "thin enough." That's not my goal, although I know losing weight will be a by-product of my efforts (if I stop eating all the extra treats - see yesterday's post!)

I have Alaska clearly in mind as I head out the door to walk. That goal helps push harder and pump my arms more, and to almost enjoy the idea that I'm sweating like crazy (yuck!) The thought of Alaska is actually making me consider - gasp! - going back to the gym so I can start strength training again, which I once loved doing.

As my quote for today says, "It's so hard when I have to, and so easy when I want to." So here's my question to you:

What do you want more than anything?

Let's embrace our inner two-year-old and let nothing stand in our way!


Until next time...

12 comments:

Carol said...

Excellent for your renewed sense of motivation and your goal. I think we all go through that.

I love that quote btw. I'm going to have to remember that. :)

Great job on you NSV! :)

Hanlie said...

I will answer that question in a post tomorrow, okay?

Great post! Working towards a goal is so important.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

What a fantastic accomplishment with the walking! If you think back to this time last year, how many days did you walk in a nine-day period? Keep up the great work!

jovaliquilts said...

GREAT to have something like Alaska to keep you going! Hang in there.

Holly said...

what a great way to look at things. I have a very determined, busy and into-everything 16 month old. I will keep that visual when I am slacking off or wavering in my motivation. Thank you!!

Ready Maid said...

Congratulations for walking four days out of the last nine. I've just started a "Senior Sculpting" class. Some of the 70-year old women came and patted me on the shoulder last Thursday, encouraging me to "hang in there!" I had to laugh.

I can feel the cool breeze of Alaska every time I read your posts. You'll make it. I just know it.

Grumpy Chair said...

Yay You!!

Keep up the good work on your walking.

Also, great post. I have been thinking about why I have lost my motivation to not put 100% into this journey and I might have to think about the two year old (who doesn't throw things).

Martha said...

Very nice post, I like your attitude!:-)

I want to be the best Mummy I can to my little boy, and I cannot do that whilst I'm fat and lazy, so I need to become healthy and active! I also want to be able to "fix" my emotional mess, and be more adept at identifying my wants vs my needs.

Kathy said...

I followed Hanlie's link to your post...loved the quote!

Brightcetera said...

As always a thought provoking post, Pattie. I love this about coming here to visit...I leave with something to chew on other than food.
I WANT to learn how to kayak and I WANT to travel to Ireland and Germany to visit relatives I've never met. I WANT to be the free-spirited, spur-of-the-moment, let's go somewhere fun person I used to be! The bigger I've gotten the smaller my life is.
Great job on your walking but also on your attitude towards it.

Anonymous said...

WTG on the walking!

I lived in Alaska for 8 years and miss it dearly! We plan to return someday but moved to WA a year and a half ago for Seminary. If you have never been to Alaska before, be prepared to have your breath taken away! ; )

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post...and I agree "want" drives us.....this desire is irresistible...when we want we sure make it....keep up teh spirit...