Sunday, April 13, 2008

Life is Too Short

Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have,
and only you can determine how it will be spent.
Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.
~ Carl Sandburg


First, thanks to those of you who added to the list of sexiest male celebrities. Wasn't that a fun little exercise in silliness? We need those once in a while! And you know why?

Life is too short.

A friend of mine had a heart attack on Friday. He was taken to the hospital where the doctors found a major blockage. They did an angioplasty, and inserted a stent to keep his artery open. He's doing very well, his prognosis is good, and his spirits are as cheerful as ever. He's a remarkably positive person, and I thank God he came through this as well as he did.

Life is too short.

A few weeks ago, I was driving down the freeway to meet a friend for a movie. I had a semi on one side of me and a car on the other. In front of me was a pickup truck with a small load of lumber. We were all driving about 75 MPH (don't tell the California Highway Patrol!) The wind picked up a 2 x 4 from the truck, turned it end over end and sent it flying toward my windshield. I had no room to swerve, since I was boxed in. It happened so fast, but I swear I saw that board break the glass and hit me head-on -- so much so that I ducked down in my seat. When all was said and done, the board hit the hood of my car, right in front of the windshield, then bounced off the frame of the driver's side window. Lots of scratches to my car, but not one scratch on me.

Life is too short.

We all know this. We've all lost loved ones or had an event happen that changed our life in the blink of an eye. But we get complacent and go about our business as if life will go on as it is forever and ever.

I think it's important for all of us, me included, to remember that our time on Earth is finite and we'd better make the most of life while we're free to enjoy it. We each need to find what's important to us and spend our days doing things we enjoy, things that make the world a better place. And for heaven sake, each and every day, let's tell the people we love that we care about them.

Life is too short, so let's make it sweet while it lasts!


Until next time...

8 comments:

Ready Maid said...

Couldn't have said it better myself, Pattie. Having had a couple of brushes with death myself, I make it a point to savor the little things and to be content, whatsoever state I'm in.

Erin said...

So true patty and so eloquently said!

Hanlie said...

You're right! Enjoy today! It's all we ever really have. It's also the only opportunity we have to change our lives. Lovely post!

Kathy said...

You were very lucky! And thanks for the reminder.

RunningNan said...

Wow. I'm glad your friend is ok, and I'm glad that you are ok. That is scary. I jump at leaves when the fly off a truck because I don't know what they are. You are so right. Life is too short. I live by that motto a lot. THanks for putting me back in check!

Diana Swallow said...

I'm so glad you weren't hurt Pattie, cars can be replaced, you can't. I'm also glad to hear your friend was treated before the end results were much worse.

Once again, a brilliant post!

HappyBlogChick said...

AMEN!

Life really is too short.

I'm glad that you and your friend are OK. Thank you for the reminder to savor each moment.

Lori said...

You're so right! And I'm choosing to live - no matter how frustrating this process is!