Monday, April 28, 2008

For the Birds

A bird does not sing because it has an answer.
It sings because it has a song. ~Chinese Proverb


Hubby and I were doing a little yard work yesterday, including cutting off a few branches from a bush that was in danger of falling over. As we were putting the debris into the bin, I noticed something fuzzy on one of the branches.

It was a hummingbird's nest, pictured above.

Isn't it an amazing creation? It's so tiny! I placed the penny next to it just for a sense of perspective. There were no eggs in the nest when I found it: I can only imagine how little they must be.

I love birds and bird watching. I'm kind of crazy about them, actually. I have several feeders and a birdbath, all of which my dear husband takes care of and refills because he knows the pleasure the birds bring me. I think he secretly enjoys them as much as I do, although he probably won’t admit it! Here's a photo he took through the blinds of an Oriole outside our window...



I guess I'm getting old, but I find it so enjoyable to watch a Robin frolic in the bird bath, or two Gold Finches fighting for space on their feeder. I get a sense of the circle of life when the Grosbeaks come back year after year, or when it's time to put out the feeder made especially for the returning Orioles, who winter elsewhere. It reminds me that we are part of a larger world, and that we're connected to all creatures through the web of life.



Now if I could just convince Boo Boo of that interconnection, so she'll leave the birds alone!


Until next time...

9 comments:

Hanlie said...

Our house is also a no-fly zone! My cats are obsessed with birds, but just can't get to them!

Lora said...

My sister's kitty's name is Boo Boo too - and she looks just like yours!

I like watching the birds too. We have a humminbird feeder at the cottage and I never get over marvelling at how tiny they are!

Diana Swallow said...

We have no shortage of birds around here, the area I live in is actually designated as a bird sanctuary.

Speaking of cats and birds, I my friends mom had a bird and a cat. The bird learned to talk and would say "here kitty kitty" just like the her Mom did when calling the cat for food. Drove the poor cat nuts!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I love to watch robins! They do enjoy a good bath. LOL

Boo-boo is perfect for that icanhazcheezburger site: "ready for my close up, Mr. DeMille." :)

Have a great week!

Manuela said...

My garden is robin central. They are so funny to watch (especially as it was raining today).

I've had hummingbirds before but am never fast enough with my camera. Maybe this summer!

Anonymous said...

I smiled to see a post about birds. I love birds...

Nicole said...

I love birds, too! I get so excited when I see a new bird or a bird returning for spring. It's wonderful.

I've heard that hummingbird eggs are the size of Tic Tacs, but I never thought that possible until I saw this picture.

Kathy said...

I love watching and listening to the birds in our back yard. And my Hubby gifts me with the feeders and a never ending supply of seed in them so I can enjoy them.

The nest is awesome...thanks for the visual!

jillytacy said...

We love watching the birds too. Last year we finally had to stop feeding the birds since we were really feeding the squirrels and chipmunks who emptied the feeders faster than we could fill them. We always watched the birds while we ate breakfast and lunch. We miss that but I guess after having three bears in the yard yesterday it's a good thing the feeders have been empty! Bears tend to ransack bird feeders in the spring.