Sunday, January 20, 2008

Follow your Passion




Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. ~ Harold Whitman



I attended my first national quilt show yesterday, The Road to California, in Ontario. Talk about sensory overload! There was so much to see and so much to experience, it was almost overwhelming. Hester said to me as we walked in the door of the convention center, "The talent you'll see here is on a very different level than at our local quilt shows." She was right. It makes me almost embarrassed to call myself a quilter.

But I still do!

I continue to learn so much about my newest passion: the use of various fabrics, colors, threads, stitches, designs. I am rather obsessed these days, and have been for months. My garden has woefully been neglected since I took my first quilting lesson (don't tell anyone I'm a Master Gardener!)

I believe that when we follow where our heart leads, we add to the greater joy in the world. When I do things that make me come alive, I create an energy that touches those around me in a positive way.

What's your passion? Give yourself the chance to experiment with the various areas that interest you until you find the thing that ignites your spirit. It took me a long time to find quilting, and I'm awfully glad I did!

Until next time...

No comments: