Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Great-Fullness

Feeling gratitude and not expressing it
is like wrapping a present and not giving it.
~ William Arthur Ward

When was the last time you gave a silent “thank you” for all the good things in your life?

I think I’ve accidentally omitted that piece of the happiness puzzle lately. I seemed to be more focused recently on the things missing in my life, rather than on all the many blessings that are right under my nose. I have a tendency to do this if I’m not careful: I look at what’s wrong instead of what’s right.

That stops today.

The November issue of Better Homes and Gardens has a wonderful article that I’ve read through a couple of times now. It addresses the benefit of counting our blessings all year round – not just at Thanksgiving. Here’s the paragraph I've been mulling over:

...Research shows that making gratitude a part of everyday living promotes good health, elevates happiness, and boosts relationships. Psychologists say that perpetually grateful people are optimistic and energetic, which helps than handle stress and illness better than those who focus on the negative.

This is not new information to me: I’ve known it for years now and preach it to anyone who'll listen! But remembering to put it into practice myself is a whole different story. It’s amazing to me how easy it is to give in to that pull toward the negative.

When I think about it, gratitude is what’s been missing lately during this time of “I don’t give a darn about anything” mood I’ve been in. I’ve been lethargic, pessimistic, and let’s not even talk about the amount of food I’ve been consuming to make all those icky feelings go away!

There’s a wonderful quote in the magazine article mentioned above. Patricia Carlson of the nonprofit A Network for Grateful Living, states: “Gratefulness has to do with experiencing the fullness of life. Sometimes we look at it as a play on words – it’s the great-fullness.”


So – attitude changes everything! I’m flipping my switch and turning on a grateful outlook starting today, not just for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, but for every day of the year. I'll need to stay focused and stop those "poor me" thoughts from sneaking into my brain. But I know that being aware of all that's good in my life, then taking the time to say "thank you" for those blessings, will make a huge difference.

Care to join me?


Until next time…

31 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I'm on board, Pattie. It's great to have you back!

I loved that article. I thought that it spoke volumnes when I read it. Glad that you posted about it.

Have a grateful week. Hugs.

carla said...

Im on board and grateful youre feeling better and back.

Nonnas News said...

We all need to do that!

RunningNan said...

I always trying to keep on the positive side of life as well.

I'm glad to see you back!

Deborah said...

Sounds like a lot of us have been down in the dumps lately and I think you've got the right idea of THANK-FULLNESS.

I'm going to do the same thing and I know I will be a happier person for it.

Thanx for the insight. And glad you're back. I've missed you.

Wendy said...

I'm jumping on board, too, Pattie! I think my blue mood has been due to feeling sic. Since Halloween, we've (ALL of us!)have had one thing after another. I'll be okay with not feeling well, as long as we're done once the holidays hit! LOL

No more excuses! Loved the article and the reminder. Thanks.

new*me said...

awww....Pattie.......you make me smile and teary at the same time! I am feeling so grateful today! My mom was here (newly retired) and we were just hangin out playing dollies with the girls........it was soooo great. I am blessed and grateful for every day.

Natalia said...

I'm on board! I've been there with you. Negativity is a scary thing it breads so fast! I didn't realize where my head was at until I read your words!

Midlife Mom said...

Great post Patti! We all need a kick in the pants sometimes to remind us of all we have to be thankful for and not just at this time of year! I too can see the glass half empty and have to remind myself to think 'half full'! Thanks for writing such a thought provoking post!! xoxo

grammy said...

I am reminded of all the times I think, "I should send them a thank you note...just because." Then I don't. I have missed your posts. Glad to hear from you.

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Such a great post! I had not read your opening quote before. it's headed for my bulletin board. :) Thank you!

Diana Swallow said...

Excellent post! Actually I find myself being thankful daily now that Ken started this new job. I think that counting our blessings, especially at this time of the year is something we all should do.

Kathy said...

I'm grateful to hear from you again!

Brightcetera said...

Yes, I'm in! I'm so happy you're back!

Brightcetera said...

Pattie, I mistakenly deleted my blog. It's at a new link. I'd be GRATEFUL (see, snuck that one in) if you could change the link to me in your blogroll :)

Carole Burant said...

Now that's the right attitude to have:-) As you say, too often we put all our energy into feeling sorry for ourselves when it would be so much better if we used that energy to be thankful for what we do have. Excellent post, dear Pattie:-) xoxo

Hanlie said...

I'm just like you... It's very easy to slip into a state of seeing the lack in my life, instead of the fullness of my life. Gratitude is so important!

Anonymous said...

I just signed on to Bloggers Over 50 and I'm fairly new to Blogging. I'm visiting the blogs one by one.

I really enjoyed your post. I agree that we often forget to voice all of our blessings out loud. Thanks for the inspiration!

Manuela said...

I'll definitely join you.

Miss reading your comments but am glad to read your posts again :)

Karen said...

Welcome back Pattie! I've been trying to re-adapt my life lately due to the loss in our family. Although an important part of us is missing we still have a lot to be grateful for....our health, 3 other grandchildren and our own two grown children. Life is better, but different. I hope you will find this to be true also.

Love, Karken

Karen said...

Oops! My name is not Karken! DUH!
Typing too fast, I guess.

Hugs, Karen

JC said...

Been missing you Pattie. I'm on board. I post a Thankful Thursday piece on prayerfullyyoursjen.blogspot.com which is mostly saying thank you to my creator. Have a great weekend.

Lora said...

I'll join you Patti! I need to remind myself all the time of my blessings lest I host an all out pity party for myself. Thanks for the reminder!

Dana said...

Hi Pattie! Dropping by from the Over 50 & Bloggin'. I loved the Attitude post. I hung "Be Thankful" signs on our entrance doors at work when everyone was being extremely grouchy. It works! We were all having a ball making fun of the signs. I read your blog today right when I needed to be reminded that my "Attitude" may need a little adjusting. Thank you for blogging this subject today and I'll think of you when I have my next hot flash!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post!

Midlife Mom said...

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving! I reread this post too, I think I need to print it off and keep it handy! Take care!

charengiwooman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brightcetera said...

Missing you, Pattie!
Hope you are well & happy!

Nursin Gal said...

LETS DO IT

JC said...

Patty, I'm missing you. Hope all is well.

prashant said...

Have a grateful week
post free classified ads